Discovery SpaceClaim: 3D Printing Prep & STL/Facet Editing
The Discovery Family can all work with a variety of file types including typical CAD models (b-rep, primitives, nurbs), curves and even triangulated and faceted data like from STL, OBJ and other file types. The other tutorial lists focus on tools for typical CAD models while this set of tutorials focuses on the tools found in the Facets Tab for the editing and creation of faceted bodies, All videos can be streamed directly from this page by clicking them.
1) STL selection with SpaceClaim: Learn how to apply standard selection techniques to Meshes and STL files, and learn some techniques and tips that are specific to meshes/STL files.
2) Orienting STL mesh in SpaceClaim: This video demonstrates how to orient a scan/mesh/STL to world origin. It shows a couple of different ways to orient the mesh.
3) STL Separating and Joining in SpaceClaim: This video shows how to separate a mesh body into multiple bodies based on original definition or a clear separation of facets. It also shows how to join multiple mesh bodies into 1 mesh body.
4) STL Repairs with SpaceClaim: This video shows how to interrogate and repair an STL file using auto-fix and semi-automated repair tools. It shows how to fix self-intersections, inverted normals, holes, non-manifold and over-connected facets.
5) STL Pulling and Moving with SpaceClaim: This video demonstrates pulling and moving facets on a mesh. It shows the differences between pulling and moving a solid body and a mesh body.
6) STL Merge, Subtract and Intersect Basics with SpaceClaim: This video demonstrates boolean operations on STL/Mesh. It shows the basics of Merging, Subtracting and Intersecting multiple STL/Mesh bodies or an STL/Mesh body with a solid body.
7) STL Merge & Subtract Tips & Tricks with SpaceClaim: This video demonstrates some tips and tricks that apply to merging, subtracting and intersecting, related to resolution when merging solids to meshes. It also shows how to make a fixture, mold or mating part to an STL/Mesh.
8) STL Copy, Paste & Merge with SpaceClaim: This video demonstrates Copy, Paste and Merge operations on STL. It shows how to duplicate bodies, surfaces, create rounds and fill in complex areas.
9) STL Thickening with SpaceClaim: This video demonstrates how to add thickness to a zero thickness open mesh. It shows which error prevent thickening and how to fix them.
10) STL Smoothing, Reducing and Regularizing with SpaceClaim: This video demonstrates how to smooth out an entire mesh or a local area. It shows how to reduce the number of facets to make a file smaller and easier to work with, and regularize triangles to have a more consistent aspect ratio.
11) STL Thickness Detection in SpaceClaim for 3D Printing: This video demonstrates how to use the Thickness Tool to detect walls and geometry that is too thin to 3D print. It shows how to detect all geometry thinner than a user defined minimum thickness and direction of printing.
12) SpaceClaim Faceted Shrinkwrap: This video demonstrates Shrinkwrap tool in SpaceClaim. It shows the basics of creating a solid faceted shrinkwrap model around existing parts, assemblies and even meshes.
13) Faceted Shell & Infill in SpaceClaim - Part 1: This video demonstrates how to shell a normal or faceted body with a faceted output. It shows how to include an infill to keep the result's strength, but reduce weight and printing material. (Part 1 of 2)
14) Faceted Shell & Infill in SpaceClaim - Part 2: This video demonstrates how to shell a normal or faceted body with a faceted output. It shows how to include an infill to keep the result's strength, but reduce weight and printing material. (Part 2 of 2)